Sunday, January 12, 2014

Waiting for Branch Lionheart

It is now January 12th, one month and 9 days since my grandson, Branch Lionheart was born.  I have thought of blogging about him and his incredible life before now, but my heart is still too tender from the loss.  So I am going to take a few blog posts to tell about some of the different things that happened while he was with us.  My hope through this is much the same as my daughter's;  that anyone who is faced with the awful news that their baby won't survive, will consider wanting to give that baby as much life as possible, even if it is only while growing in the womb.

The Waiting Room

Kristin and Glenn decided to have the baby via c-section, since this would give him more of a chance to be born alive. (see Kristin's blog post:Kristineats) The date was set for December 3rd.  After that wish, they wanted as many people as possible to celebrate his life.  The hospital staff was incredible and in full support of their decisions.


We went to the waiting room around 11:30.  We were quite the crowd.  Between the grandparents, aunts and uncles and all the couples that are close friends, I think there were around 30 people.  We took over the waiting room, to say the least.

They had a social worker who kept us informed, from the timing of the C-section to the actual birth.  Kristin and Glenn's pastor was there. He was able to pray for them before the actual operation and then came to pray with us out in the waiting room.  Tears abounded, especially between my girls and me.
Shortly after 1:30 (I think) the social worker came out to tell us the great news. "Branch was born alive at 1:23.  He let out a cry. Glenn has been holding him and he is now laying on Kristin, skin to skin."  Katherine looked at me, I looked at her, we hugged and burst into tears.  Our prayers were answered, a live birth, which is not a guarantee with a baby with anencephaly. Later, (2 o'clock, 3 o'clock, I have no idea really) Glenn came out of the birth/operating room  with a big smile on his face and asked, "Does everyone want to come meet Branch?"  The entire gang of us lined up and headed down the corridor.  I was on my way to meet my grandson.   

Kristin's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment